Career Planning In College: 11 Things You Can Do To Succeed In The Modern Workplace
Via University Herald : Career Planning In College: 11 Things You Can Do To Succeed In The Modern Workplace
In terms of career planning, it’s always good to start as early as you can. This will give you enough time to develop the traits that you need to have as well as to equip yourself with the necessary skills to be able to do your future job well.
In a TIME article by MOGUL’s Bethany Heinrich, she shared 11 things that fresh graduates can do to succeed in the modern workplace. Follow these tips before sending your application and going to an interview.
1. Your cover letter should be a part of your email, not an attachment. This will save HR’s time. Only attach the resume, which shouldn’t have these mistakes.
2. Prepare handwritten thank-you notes that you can send after the interview. This will show how you go the extra mile and give extra effort.
3. Make a great impression by dressing up during an interview. This can also make you feel good about yourself and boost your confidence.
4. If you don’t get the job, analyze the reasons why and move forward. You can ask the hiring manager for honest feedback on why you weren’t chosen for the role. Check yourself and then try again with other companies.
5. Apply for several internships while you are still in college. There is no better way to gain real-life experience than through internships. It will also give you a chance to get your foot in the door of your dream company.
6. Don’t be scared to ask questions. It is always good to ask for clarification than making a mistake especially when you’re just starting out.
7. Stay positive and remember that what you do today will determine your career’s future. In every job, there are always tasks that you may not be thrilled about. Just remember that it will still equip you with the skills you need in your chosen profession.
8. Learn to network. Building one’s professional contacts begin in college. Check out these tips on how to get noticed by hiring managers on LinkedIn.
9. Do your homework on the company interviewing you. This will give you extra points when recruiters see that you are passionate and knowledgeable about them.
10. Find someone who inspires you. This will help you keep your eyes on your goals.
11. Don’t be distracted by the sidelines, look ahead. Just keep pushing for your dreams.
166 total views, 1 today